The Q&A Archives: Which Shrub?

Question: I live on a busy street on LA's west side. I'd like to plant some shrubbery that will block the street noise as much as possible and can be kept to about 5 ft tall. I need to cover approx. 30 ft across the front of the house. Any suggestions on a thick easy maintenance shrub? And do I have to buy seedlings or can I find something more mature?

Answer: A few evergreen shrubs for you to consider include Viburnum, Laurel, Escallonia or boxwood. The larger the plants, the quicker the coverage. I'd purchase one-gallon sized plants at the very least; larger if you can afford them. You can encourage a nice, dense screen by lightly pruning (shearing) the plants each year. Best wishes with your new privacy screen.