The Q&A Archives: Fading Leaves On Bauer's Dracaena

Question: Will the color return if I figure out what is wrong? I thought that maybe it wasn't receiving enough light so I moved it, but haven't seen any change yet after about a week. How many hours does it need and can it handle the warm summer sun here in Pasadena? If it's not lack of enough light what else might it be? Thanks for your help.

Answer: Your dracaena (Cordyline baueri) is native to New Zealand, grows to 10' tall and 3'-4' wide, has 2' long leaves in deep purple red and produces white flowers in the summertime. It prefers full sunshine and regular deep waterings during the growing season. If the foliage on your plant is pale, it's not getting enough direct sunshine. Place it in a site that receives 8-10 hours of sun each day and the foliage should develop the rich red color you expect. Best wishes with your plant!