The Q&A Archives: Nagami Kumquat Tree - No Flower Or Fruit!

Question: I bought the kumquat tree three years ago with many fruits, but after that it keeps growing but produces no flower or fruit. Can you tell me what to do so that the plant will have flower and fruit as I live in Washington State?

Lam Dinh

Answer: Citrus trees need warmth, humidity and heat in order to produce fruit. If your kumquat looks healthy but does not flower, it may not be getting the amount of sunlight it needs to produce flowers and fruit. Since you're in the Pacific Northwest, I imagine your kumquat is indoors during the winter months and outdoors during the spring and summer. If you keep it indoors all year long, consider allowing it to spend the warmer spring and summer months outdoors, bringing it indoors again when the weather cools in the autumn. This should provide the right environment for your kumquat and it might reward you with flowers and fruit. Hope so!