The Q&A Archives: Dwarf Alberta Spruce Care And Shaping

Question: Hi, I just bought 2 dwarf Alberta spruce trees and I'm not sure how to take care of them. I would like to shape them like I have seen in nurseries. Can you tell me the right way to do this?

Thank you.

Answer: Your dwarf Alberta Spruce (Picea glauca albertiana), will naturally grow into a compact, cone shape without any pruning at all. The mature size of this plant is 6-8' tall and 4-5' wide. But, it's slow growing, taking 35 years to reach maturity. For this reason, it makes an excellent container plant, but you can also plant it in the ground. Your spruces will appreciate full sunshine but will tolerate partial afternoon shade. Provide water once each week during the first growing season to help the root system become established (more often if planted in containers). If planted in the ground, you will only need to water once or twice during the growing season once the trees are established. Enjoy your trees!