The Q&A Archives: Yellow Leaves On One Stem of Evergreen Clematis

Question: If only one stem of my avalanche evergreen clematis has lower yellow leaves with green veins is it most likely transplant shock? Would the other two stems be okay if it were a mineral deficiency?

Answer: Barbara,

Actually it could be either. The fact that one stem showed those symptoms (which appear to be iron deficiency) indicates that only some roots are affected. This could be due to partial injury to the root system during or after transplanting, or to an area of soil where the root are encountering a nutrient problem. I suspect that being a new plant, it will recover in time as the root move on out and become better established. In the meantime, try to avoid over or under watering by keeping the soil moist but not soggy.