The Q&A Archives: Keeping Animals Out Of Trees

Question: I am trying to find something that will not only keep squirrels but cats from climbing trees in my yard. What can I do?

I have seen some of your plants at a nursery with a plastic banding that goes around the trunk and stake, would this work? Where can I find that?

Answer: Squirrels are cute but marauding little critters! The only practical way of preventing them from getting into your tree is to place a squirrel baffle around the trunk of the tree. If there are no nearby trees or power lines from which they could jump into the tree's canopy, you may have a chance.

You can trim all low hanging limbs up to about 4 feet off the ground to prevent the squirrels from jumping into the tree. Then place a piece of metal flashing around the trunk extending outward in a downward cone shape. The metal should extend out about 18" from the trunk. This metal attachment will appear similar to the collar the veterinarian puts around a dog's neck to keep it from scratching its ears.

Place the metal collar about 4 feet off the ground to prevent them from jumping from the ground to the trunk above it.

Good luck with those squirrels and thanks for the question!