The Q&A Archives: Should I Add Fertilizer To My New Rose Bush?

Question: I bought a beautiful thornless Monrovia rose bush, Smooth Lady, a few days ago and immediately re-potted it to a bigger pot. I also added vitamin B1 right after the transfer.

I'm wondering whether I should add one of those Job's systemic fertilizer (embedded in the roots) that lasts for 8 weeks on my rose bush. I mean the plant is huge and it seems to have healthy enough roots.

Or should I wait further, until it adjusts to its new pot and grows new roots before adding any fertilizer to it?

Answer: You're wise in being cautious not to overwhelm your new rose, but roses are heavy feeders, and the fertilizer stake is slow-release. So, go ahead and add one to the soil. It should begin to release nutrients just about the time your rose's roots have become established. Best wishes with your new rose!