The Q&A Archives: Trying To Find And Identify A Plant

Question: I am trying to identify and get the correct name for a plant that is used as a ground cover, that does well in the Sacramento, CA area, just needs to be trimmed back from time to time. It hugs the ground, is a light green with a whiter stripe on the outer edge and the name sounds like "de-mondra - maura". Once I get the correct name then I can try to find the characteristics of the plant. Can you help? thank you

Answer: I'll bet it's Dymondia margaretae! This groundcover is native to South Africa and forms a tight mat 2-3 inches high. The narrow evergreen leaves are 2-3 inches long, deep grayish green above, and rolled in at the edges to show cottony white undersides. It flowers in the summer and the small daisy-like flowers are half-buried in the foliage. It takes drought, heat, and light foot traffic.