The Q&A Archives: Yellowing Sunrise Variegated Abelia

Question: I planted 2 of your variegated sunrise abelia's about 1 1/2 years ago in my front yard. They get plenty of sun and are planted next to the house, under a window. They are growing fine but seem to be extremely yellow. I know they are supposed to have yellow in the color but you can barely notice the green. Is this right and what can I do?

Answer: It's difficult to determine from your description whether there's a nutritional problem with your abelia's or if only the new foliage is lighter in color than the rest. If it's only the new foliage that's more yellow than the rest, it should become a darker green/yellow as it matures. If the entire plant looks yellowish, you might want to feed your shrubs. Use either a liquid or granular all-purpose fertilizer (20-20-20 is a good balance) and apply in amounts as listed on the label. You should see an overall difference in the foliage a few weeks after feeding. Best wishes with your plants!