The Q&A Archives: African Sumac

Question: Can you please tell me about African sumac - its name and what it looks like; is it good for screening? I can't find it.

Answer: African sumac is Rhus lancea. It's an evergreen tree, growing slowly to 20'-30' tall and 20'-35' wide. It has an open, spreading habit with graceful, weeping branches. The dark green leaves are divided into three willow-like, 4-5" long leaflets. The inconspicuous spring flowers are followed by clusters of pea-size yellow or red fruit. This species can be trained into a single trunk or allowed to grow as a multitrunked tree. Because of its growth habit, it would make a nice informal privacy screen, as long as you have room! Or, you can clip it annually to achieve a more formal appearance. Either way, it makes a nice hedge.