The Q&A Archives: Cats in the Garden

Question: Cats are constantly digging up my small plants and using my yard as a litterbox. I have tried several commercial anti cat/dog substances but they haven't worked very effectively. Do you have any suggestions?

Answer: Cats certainly seem to be drawn to garden beds - especially freshly tilled ones. They're also creatures of habit, so once they find a place they like, they'll visit often. I've had really good luck keeping cats out of my garden by using slightly crumpled poultry netting (chicken wire), laying it on the bed and then planting herbs and annuals in the holes. The cats don't like walking on the wire, it keeps them from digging, and when the plants grow up, you hardly notice the wire. Eventually the cats will get the idea and go elsewhere.