The Q&A Archives: How To Grow Hydrangea

Question: Hi!!!

I am in need of help growing a hydrangea. I have one currently indoors that I would like to re-plant outside. Is this possible in Colorado? I have not gotten it to flower, since the original bloom. Some of the stems have gotten woody and no longer have leaves. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks so much for the help!!!

Answer: Florist's hydrangea is Hydrangea macrophylla, or big leaf hydrangea, and it's the hardiest hydrangea of all. It should grow outdoors in your gardening region. Choose a partially shady spot, with at least some protection from hot afternoon sunshine. Dig a hole slightly larger than the pot your plant is in. Loosen the soil, then lay the pot on its side and gently remove the plant. You may have to tap the sides and bottom of the pot to coax the plant out. If the roots are spiraling around, straighten them out so they'll grow out instead of around in a circle. Plant at the same level it was growing in the pot and firm the soil all around the roots. Then water well to exclude any air pockets around the roots.

Bigleaf hydrangeas produce blossoms on new shoots that grow from the previous year's wood. If you prune carefully after the blooms are spent, leaving one-third to one-half of the old wood, new flowering shoots will appear the following spring. Repeat this process annually. Plant in rich, porous soil (amend with compost or peat moss to retain just the right amount of moisture), and mulch the root zone to help suppress weeds. Hydrangeas are fast growing shrubs.