The Q&A Archives: Kalanchoe

Question: Hello, I have a few kalanchoe plants, pablo, tenorio, and a couple of others I can't remember off the top of my head, my question is do I have to deadhead/pinch back the spent flowers? Since there are so many of them in a bunch, with more flowering occuring as others are dying off, I didn't know for sure what to do with them. Also, any other tips on caring for them would be very much appreciated.

Answer: I wait until the entire bloom cluster is spent, then cut the entire flowering stem off the plant, as far down into the plant as I can. This helps my kalanchoe look trim and tidy. Commercial growers simply cut the entire plant back a few inches after flowering, to encourage additional branching and more flowers. If you don't mind looking at some partially cut leaves for a while, this might be a technique you want to try.

Kalanchoes need a rest period after they've finished blooming. Place the plants in a shady spot and allow the soil to remain nearly dry for about a month. Then begin watering regularly and new growth will appear. Enjoy!