The Q&A Archives: What To Put Around A Swimming Pool

Question: Hi

I just put in a swimming pool and I'm wondering what trees can I plant. I understand that the palms are first choice, but I'm looking for something that gives more privacy and shade.

Any recomendations would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Answer: Plants chosen to landscape swimming pool areas should meet two requirements. Branches, foliage, and flowers should be smooth (not bristly, prickly, sharp or thorny). And the plants should be as litter-free as possible, so as not to drop leaves, fruits, etc. in or around the pool. Trees meeting these requirements include palms, ensete (banana), ficus and Firmiana simplex (Chinese parasol tree). Shrub considerations include camellia, Fatsia japonica, juniper, and Viburnum davidii. Hope the above suggestions help you provide the backbone for your landscaping project. You can fill in around the trees and shrubs with perennials such as agapanthus, lavender, armeria, canna, coreopsis, Kniphofia uvaria and strelitzia if you'd like some splashes of color.