The Q&A Archives: Partial Sun, Flowering Vines, Container

Question: I'd like to grow a flowering vine on my deck wall which gets only partial sun -- it would be in a container (a large container) and be trained to grow up a trellis about six feet. I love Bougainvilleas and hibiscus' but I've read on your site that they need full sun.

Please! Help...

Answer: Sadly, your two preferences require more sunshine than the site provides. There are two plants that I think would be perfect for the site - Star Jasmine, with glossy deep green leaves and fragrant white star-shaped flowers, and hardy fuchsia, which produces woody stems and delightful two-toned flowers. Either Fuchsia paniculata or F. glaziovianna can be trained to grow up a trellis, and both are evergreen in your climate. Hope one of these suggestions appeals to you!