The Q&A Archives: Choices

Question: I would like a small tree for my garden, what i'd like is a flowering, graceful and multi-trunked tree. Are there any that would fit these requirements? Thank you for your help. Ellen

Answer: Here are a few suggestions:
Malus sargenti or sargent crabapple is a dwarf tree that flowers profusely in early spring with pink to white scented blossoms. Cornus kousa, or Japanese flowering dogwood, is a handsome small specimen tree. It is often trained into multiple trunks and planted as a specimen, near a patio, or in groupings at the back of the landscape. Forest Pansy Redbud is an incredible ornamental tree that is perfect for a small garden. 'Forest Pansy' Redbud trees have blooms that are similar to native Redbud (cercis Canadensis). The advantage of 'Forest Pansy' is in the deep maroon colored foliage.

Hope these suggestions help you choose just the right tree for your garden.