The Q&A Archives: Which Hebe To Choose For Area?

Question: Paso Robles is extremely hot and dry in summer and extremely cold and somewhat wet in winter. I want to put some Hebes in. They will get direct sun, but they will also get regular watering. Which one(s) do you suggest. I would like them to be about 5-6 feet tall and just as wide.

Answer: Hebes are natives of New Zealand. They thrive in dry summer heat, but cold winters will shorten their lives. Hebes are prone to root rot if drainage is poor. To give your hebes a fighting chance, provide excellent soil drainage, and water regularly during the growing season. Some suggestions include 'Amy', reaching 5' high and wide, with dark green leaves tinged with purple; 'Elliptica', with medium green leaves and clusters of fragrant bluish flowers; and 'Buxifolia' with rounded shape, deep green foliage, and white flowers. Best wishes with your landscape!