The Q&A Archives: Size And Shape As Priority For Selection

Question: I see that MONROVIA offers a nerium hybrid "Turner's Kathryn" that may be the most ideal solution to my "problem".

To avoid constant pruning, I would like to find a shrub that has a natural size and shape suitable for an informal hedge. Ideally 7 to 8 foot maximum height. Are there other varieties, or species that would do well in Southern California inland?

Answer: Oleander is often used as a screening hedge and the plants do well in sunny sites, with very little water. If they receive shade, or are over-watered, the growth habit is unpredictable and can be rangey. But, in full sunshine in dry soil, you can expect 'Turner's Kathryn' to grow into a reliably dense shrub. You might also consider 'Algiers' with deep red flowers, 'Ruby Lace' with bright red flowers; 'Casablanca' or 'Morocco', both with white flowers.