The Q&A Archives: Starburst Daylilies And Agapanthus -susceptibility To Oak Root Fungus

Question: I am working on a garden in Bel Air that has been diagnosed with Oak Root Fungus. I would like to do mass plantings of your Starburst Daylilies and Snowstorm Agapanthus. I know all plants can be affected by Oak Root Fungus but some apparently are more susceptible than others. How would you rate Daylilies??

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Ray Hansen

Answer: Oak Root Fungus (Armillaria mellea) sustains itself on buried wood (mostly dead roots), but will invade susceptible plants if their roots come in contact with the infected roots. Those most at risk are other trees and some woody shrubs, because of their deep, extensive root systems. Herbaceous annuals and perennials, because their root systems are shallow and non-woody, are generally not affected by Armillaria. Agapanthus and Hemerocallis fall into the category of not being affected by the disease.