The Q&A Archives: Moving Fir Trees

Question: When is the best time of year to transplant fir trees from one part of my yard to another?

Answer: Your fir trees can generally be transplanted anytime as long as the ground is not frozen. However, it is best to avoid periods when your trees are actively growing, i.e., in the spring when you see those new pale green shoots appearing. You also want to avoid transplanting on<br>summer days when that Georgia heat is sweltering. I usually do my transplanting in the fall, mid-October to mid-November. By transplanting on an overcast day or in the early evening your transplants have a bit of a chance to process their new environment before having to absorb sunlight. Particularly windy days are also something to avoid, the wind will quickly dry out the roots. Be sure to dig your holes in the new area before you dig up the fir trees. The less time the roots are exposed to sun and air the better. Be sure to water the plants in well after moving. Many transplant failures are a result of not watering in well enough.