The Q&A Archives: Trying To Locate Information About A Particular Plant

Question: I have found a plant that looks exactly like a butterfly. The common name is Blue Butterfly Flower (I have checked and although there are plants with this name they are NOT the same plant) and the label says it is a Lerodendrum Ugandense. I can't locate anything with this name on the internet. Please let me know about the care of this plant. It was purchased at Annie's Manhattan Beach Nursery.

Thanks, Gwen

Answer: I think the plant is Clerodendrum ugandense. It's a shrub growing to 10' in height. The leaves are narrow, coarsely toothed, and about 4 1/2" long. The flowers have 3 pale blue lobes and one violet-blue lobe. Inside the flower, the filaments are purple and the anthers are blue. This shrub originates from tropical Africa and thrives on heat. Provide full sunshine and quick-draining soil. Clerodendrum blooms on the current season's growth, so prune during the dormant season (winter) to encourge lots of new wood and lots of blooms the following year. Best wishes with your new plant!