The Q&A Archives: Holiday Avocado

Question: I have heard about a new avocado called Holiday. Can you tell me more about it and if it is good for my back yard? How disease resistant is it (mainly root rot). I have unable to find it in your plant information.

Answer: Here's some information on the 'Holiday' avocado tree:
Parentage: Guatemalan
Seed Size: Medium
Skin Texture: Medium
Fruit Shape: Obovate
Skin Thickness: Medium
It's a good choice for small yards because it's a dwarf tree with very large fruit. It grows to 20' and is a beautiful tree with a spreading, umbrella shape that skirts the ground. Fruits are attractive and have good flavor. Released from the breeding program for nursery propagation in 2001.

To get your avocado tree off to a good start, here's what avocados need:

Full sun exposure and protection from wind; good drainage (deep sandy loam is best).

The trees need water whenever soil is dry 18 to 22 inches below the soil surface (check at the drip line with a soil auger). For mature trees in well-drained soil, that usually means water every two to four weeks, more often in hot, dry, windy weather.

A mature tree needs about 1 pound actual nitrogen per year. That translates into 3 to 5 pounds of a complete fertilizer with an NPK of 10-8-6 (sometimes sold as citrus and avocado food), applied twice a year between February and October. Feed young, nonbearing trees about 1 teaspoon every second or third watering for the first year, following package directions.

Best wishes with your landscape!