The Q&A Archives: Edible Figs And Cherimoya For Foggy San Francisco

Question: Which Fig varieties grow well along the coast of San Francisco and are nematodes a problem for this plant, if so how do I control them? Secondly, can I grow Cherimoyas in the foggy and cool coastline of SF, if so which varieties are the best? Thanks!

Answer: Mature fig trees are hardy to 10F. Younger trees are susceptible to frost, but if the tops die down, the roots will send up new sprouts. Planting on the south side of a building or wall to protect from cold winter winds will help protect your fig tree and help it produce the most fruit. The most reliable figs for your region include 'Peter's Honey', 'Hardy Chicago' and 'Brown Turkey'. All are self-fruitful (no pollination required) and all adapt to various soils. A well-drained, fertile loam, with neutral pH is best. Nematodes are not a problem.

Cherimoya is native to high elevations in the tropics and will not grow in your gardening region.