The Q&A Archives: Hummingbirds and Butterflies

Question: What hummingbird and butterfly attracting flowers and vines will grow most successfully in Fresno, CA. I have a Southerly faces side yard I am going to plant in relatively dry soil?

Answer: Butterflies see more colors than humans do. They seem to prefer red, orange, yellow, purple, and dark pink. A large, colorful garden is easy for butterflies to find, and encourages them to stay longer. In your region you can plant Black-Eyed Susan, Butterfly Bush, Butterfly Weed,
Egyptian Star Flower, Ironweed, Lantana, French Marigold, New England Aster, Purple Coneflower, Swamp Milkweek,
Blazing Star, Vervain and Zinnia to attract butterflies.

Attracting Hummingbirds is easy if you plant their favorite nectar-rich flowers such as Beebalm, Red Columbine, Delphinium, Hollyhock, Butterfly Bush, Catawba Rhododendron, Rose of Sharon, Trumpet Vine, Honeysuckle,
Cardinal Vine, Lantana, Kniphofia (red hot poker) and Fuchsia.

Hope these suggestions help you design a spectacular garden that's very popular with your local hummers and butterflies!