The Q&A Archives: Evergreen Tree For Privacy.

Question: Hi there,

Would you kindly recommend me the best evergreen beautiful tree for privacy nearby swimming pool. The problem is that the planter is narrow between fence and patio cover. Wide of the planter is approximately 3-4 feet.

Another thing I need to consider is a center of yard...can be seen from entrance and living room.

Please..please help me..

Answer: In addition to thinking about planting a tree in the location, you might want to consider a narrow, tall growing evergreen such as Thuja (American arborvitae). These plants have a columnar growth pattern; 25-30' high and only 2-3' wide, which will fit perfectly in the planter space you describe. You can plant several of them 4 to 5 feet apart and allow them to grow into an attractive privacy screen.

Trees will be slower growing than the Thuja, but here are a few suggestions: Acacia, Citrus, Cypress, Eucalyptus, Olive, or Pyrus (evergreen pear).

Best wishes with your landscape!