The Q&A Archives: Weed Killer

Question: Is there a home made weed killer to get rid of all the weeds that come up in a rock border along my fence? Does bleach kill plants? If so could I usse that?
Thank you. Anita

Answer: Homemade weed killers are not always effective but I've had good success with a little vinegar mixed in with some boiling water and poured on the weeds. (Be careful not to splash any boiling liquid onto your feet or legs!) Bleach is terribly caustic and I wouldn't use it as a weed killer at all!

There is a new pre-emergent herbicide made from corn gluten. It's sold under the trade name "WeedzStop". This product prevents seed germination of many pest plants, including dandelions, crabgrass, and purslane. Somehow, the an ingredient in corn gluten actually inhibits root growth in germinating seeds! And, as you would imagine, this "herbicide" is non-toxic to people and pets. It should be used in early spring (or late summer) before weed seeds begin to sprout. You can't use it on beds you plan to seed, but the product won't affect established plants or bulbs. It is available from Gardeners Supply Co., ph# 800-863-1700, web site:

There is an organic spray herbicide called "Scythe" made from fatty acids. This spray can be used to kill existing annual weeds. It is available from Gardens Alive, ph# 812-537-5108.

Hope this information is helpful.