The Q&A Archives: Optimal Distance To Space Planting Of Shrubs

Question: Hi: I bought 6 Monterey Bay Brush Cherry's (eugenia myrtifolia monterey bay) to plant in the Southern San Francisco Bay Area near Yamagamis Nursery in Cupertino. My question is: We have 28.5 feet space to plant these. How far should we optimally space each shrub to cover this area. Or another way, what is the optimal spacing distance to plant these shrubs to use as a privacy barrier along a neighbors fence line.I don't want to get them to crowded or too thin!

Frank Loomis

Answer: The general rule of thumb when spacing trees or shrubs is to place them far enough apart to allow enough elbow room to reach maturity without crowding. If you space your shrubs 10' apart, they will touch when fully mature. If you want to produce a dense privacy barrier you can plant them 5' apart and they will grow into one another. This won't compromise their health and will produce a thicket of branches to screen whatever is on the other side. Hope this answers your question!