The Q&A Archives: Rosea Azaleas

Question: Abouut 18 years ago I planted a hedge of Rosea Azaleas in fron of my front porch. Over the years I have lost a few plants and now the hedge does not look so good. I absolutely love the Rosea but know you haven't been producing the plant for at least 8 years.

Do you a a similar azalea which I can use to replace my hedge? I plan to relocate the Roseas. The plants will get morning sun and shade for most of the hot part of the day.

Thanks for your help,

Fred Cochran

Answer: Kermesina rosea azalea has a unique candystriped pink and white flower. While no longer available, Monrovia carries
Azalea indica 'Tickled Pink' with single rose-pink flowers edged in white; Azalea `Higasa` (Satsuki hybrid) bearing huge pink and white single flowers; Azalea indica 'California Sunset' with variegated white and deep pink double blooms; and Azalea `Gumpo White` (Satsuki hybrid) featuring single frilled white flowers with pink flakes. Hope one of these will make a great substitute for your beloved rosea azaleas!