The Q&A Archives: Can Arctostaphylos - Massachusetts Take The Full Sun That We Have In Boise?

Question: I have constructed a berm between two cement driveways. This area gets full sun all day long. I have had three different answers from nursery people here whether this is the plant for my location. We have a sprinkler system so it will get enough water. Any suggestions or help will be appreciated. I moved here from Indiana 4 years ago and have had to learn a lot about this climate and gardening.

Answer: It's always a challenge to learn what grows in each gardening region, so you're not alone in your endeavor. Arctostaphylos uva-ursi 'Massachusetts' is recommended for growing in your gardening region. It is drought-tolerant (meaning it grows well in dry soils in hot locations). You can plant it and then mulch around the plants with 2-3" of organic material to help slow water evaporation and help keep the roots cool. Once the plants become established, they should adapt to the area without problem.

Best wishes with your landscape!