The Q&A Archives: Peculiar Crooked Perennial

Question: I am looking for a shrub/perennial that I have seen used in flower arrangements and is used by interior decorators. It is a plant that produces 3'-5' tall interestingly crooked sticks. Usually the sticks are used for decoration without foliage. Haven't seen them in nuseries.


Answer: Florists commonly use branches from curly willow (Salix) and contorted filbert (Corylus) in flower arrangements. Both are trees or large shrubs and both grow well in your region. Curley willow branches are yellowish; branches of contorted filbert have gray-brown bark.

Hope this information helps you find the shrub you're looking for!

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Captivating Caladiums"