The Q&A Archives: Swimming Pool Landscaping

Question: I would like to know what are a good selection of plants to establish in ground around my new pool. The only thing in at this point are a few Aptos Blues that are in the far corner of my yard. There is a small canopy of the Aptos Blues from my neighbors yard that I thought of planting some ferns due to almost total shade. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Robert

Answer: Good choices for shady beds near a swimming pool include Brugmansia (angel's trumpet), Fatsia japonica, Tecoma stans (yellow bells), Tetrapanax papyriferus (rice paper plant), Alocasia (elephant's ear), Caladium, Coleus, Ferns (of all kinds), Strelitzia (bird of paradise), and Zantedeschia (calla). Using a combination of these plants will provide lots of interest as each comes into its own season of bloom.