The Q&A Archives: How To Prune Euryops

Question: I just bought a house and there are several euryops, well established, in the back yard - love them, but need to cut them back as they are getting very large - I have both the green and silver-green variety.

Answer: Euryops have a mounding growth habit, usually two feet in height and width. When they've finished blooming in late spring or early summer you can cut them back by about one-third. This will encourage a denser, more bushy look. If they're still too large, plan on cutting them back by one-third again in late summer, and once again late next spring. By only removing a third of the plant in each pruning session you'll gently renovate it and it won't be apt to become stressed out. Plus, you'll get the benefit of continual blooms for the entire growing season.