The Q&A Archives: Hummingbirds

Question: I moved into a new house and we have hummingbirds in the neighborhood. This is the first time I have ever seen one and I'm fascinated by them. I was wondering what I could plant to draw them to my yard.

Answer: Hummingbirds really are a wonderful treat. You are very lucky to have some as neighbors. Burpee offers collection called "Flights of Fancy" for attracting hummingbirds and butterflies to the yard. It includes 6 brightly colored annuals of variousheights. Perennial plants I have found to attract hummingbirds are Trumpet Vine (Campsis x tagliabuana, I grow 'Madame Galen'), Butterfly Bush (Buddleia davidii), Honeysuckle (Lonicera, many varieties), and, I see them sticking their little beaksin my hanging baskets filled with Fuchsia. They seem to be attracted to bright, vibrant colors, especially red. Sweet fragranced flowers are also a draw.