The Q&A Archives: Star Jasmine Indoor/outdoor

Question: I love the scent of the Star Jasmine but it's not hardy up here. Would I be able to leave it out during summer and then bring it indoors during winter? If so, at which temperatures would it be best to bring it in/put it out. What special care should be taken when the plant is brought indoors and what kind of light should it have. How wet should it be kept indoors and when should it be fertilized.

Thanks for your help

Answer: You can grow your jasmine in a container, allow it to summer outdoors, and then bring it in when nighttime temperatures dip to about 50F. It's best to gradually reacclimate your plant by bringing it indoors at night and taking it back outdoors during the day, leaving it indoors for longer and longer periods of time. (Reverse this process in the spring when you want to reacclimate your plant to being outdoors). Indoors, jasmines need at least four hours of direct sunlight daily or 14 to 16 hours of strong artificial light. (Use fluorescent bulbs or gro-lights; regular light bulbs put off too much heat.) Day temperatures should be 68 to 72 ? F and night temperatures 50 to 55 ? F. Jasmine is not particular about soil but prefers well drained growing medium with some organic matter. Water sparingly in winter when growth is slow. You can fertilize your plant with a diluted liquid fertilizer when new growth begins in the spring. Apply in amounts as recommended on the fertilizer label.