The Q&A Archives: Gardenia Flowering Difficulties

Question: I have a healthy looking gardenia plant in a medium/large pot. I give it acid fertilizer and it gets sun until early afternoon. The flower buds form but they always shrivel up before they reach a bloom. What can I do to get the blooms to mature?

Answer: Unfortunately, gardenia is often a disappointment to gardeners because it can be very, very demanding. For flower buds to form and thrive, night temperatures need to be between 60-65F. During the day, temperatures should be 70-75F. A very constant, even temperature is required or buds will drop. Lack of humidity is another cause of bud drop. Try irrigating or misting your plant each morning when the flower buds have formed. This added humidity might be all your plant needs to coax it into blooming. I hope so!