The Q&A Archives: Blooms On Nootka Rose

Question: I planted a Nootka rose the February of 2003 and the bush is not blooming yet, well didnt bloom last summer and this summer either. What's up?

Answer: Nootka rose is native from California to Alaska, all along the west coast. It tolerates full sun to part shade and a wide range of soils, although it prefers growing in soggy to wet sites. I wish I could offer some insight as to why your Nootka rose isn't flowering, but with its adaptability to sunshine exposure and soil conditions, I can only surmize that the plant is not mature enough to flower. Give it one more year to show it's stuff before you give up on it. In the meantime, don't fertilize it. Nitrogen will only encourage lots of green top growth at the expense of flowers. Hope your plant flowers next season!