The Q&A Archives: Gladiola Growing

Question: What is the best way to plant gladiolas? If you plant them in a straight line, they don't look good. How do you keep them from falling over or just from looking messy in the garden.
I don't see gladiolas in most botanical gardens or even in the gardens that are on tour.
Should you tie them up, lean them on the fence or what?
How deep do you plant them?

Answer: Glads can definitely benefit from staking, so as you plant your glad corms, add a bamboo stake to the planting hole for future support. You can find bamboo stakes with green coloring so they're not so obtrusive in the garden. I plant my glads rather close together so there's a sea of foliage instead of bare spots between the plants, but you can also intersperse other plants between the glads.

Gladioli corms should be planted in rich, sandy loam about four times as deep as they are tall, 4-6" apart for a dense display and farther apart if you want to plant other, low growing annuals or perennials in the same bed.

Hope this answers all your questions!