The Q&A Archives: Planting Oriental Poppy Roots

Question: I got some Oriental Poppy bare roots through the mail but no instructions. Can you tell me how I should plant them?

Thanks, Connie

Answer: Oriental poppies bloom in spring to late summer and then the plants die down to the ground. What you have received are dormant crowns and they can be planted now (in the fall). Provide well draining soil for your new poppies and plant the crowns 3" deep. Space the crowns at least 18" apart to give each new plant plenty of room to grow and good air circulation all around.

After planting the crowns you might want to place labels next to each - so you won't forget what you've planted. You won't see any growth at all until early spring.

They're worth the wait, though. Oriental poppies have the most spectacular flowers! Enjoy!