The Q&A Archives: Growth Rate

Question: Could you please define or differentiate between "slow grower, moderate grower, and fast grower"? I'm looking for trees to plant next to my fence as a privacy screen and would like to be able to base my choice on how quickly they will attain my desired height. Thanks!

Answer: Tree growth rates depend upon species, weather, soil conditions, nutrient and water availability. But, under reasonable conditions, you can expect a slow-growing tree to put on 1'- 2' per year. A good example of a slow growing tree is Ginkgo. An example of a tree with moderate growth rate, about two feet per year or 30 feet in 15 years, is Celtis (Hackberry). A fast-growing tree, such as willow, can grow 3'-5' per year. To find out for sure how fast the trees you've purchased will grow, look each of them up in a good horticulture reference book such as Hortus III. Enjoy your new landscape!