The Q&A Archives: Can I Plant Hong Kong Orchid Seeds?

Question: My Monrovia Hong Kong Orchid tree (grafted) produced many seeds this year which sprout when planted. Will the babys be the same as the parent or different since they won't be grafted?

Rick Woolverton

Answer: Bauhinia lunarioides (Orchid tree) does produce seeds but they are not always viable and therefore do not always germinate, even under the best of conditions. You can certainly try, though! Sow the seeds twice as deep as they are wide, in moistened seed starting mix (or commercial potting soil). Keep flats or pots at an even temperature of 62F., and in a bright area. Cover the flats or pots with plastic wrap to help keep soil moist. I don't know how long the seeds will take to sprout, but the seeds of some flowering trees can take almost a full year so be patient!

The seeds should produce trees just like the parent.