The Q&A Archives: Shade Evergreens

Question: The whole front of my house faces north with very little or no sun. I need an evergreen like Spartan Juniper to go on either side of a window or something with the same interest of all season color for shade. Is there anything that I can substitute or use of the same size/color/all season?

Answer: North-facing garden beds pose some challenges when you're thinking of planting colorful evergreens, but here are a few suggestions:
Nandina (heavenly bamboo) produces reddish-tinged new foliage which changes later to green. In the fall, the foliages changes again to a reddish-bronze color. This shrub will grow in full sun to full shade.

Daphne odora is an evergreen with white margins on medium green leaves. This plant produces flowers in late winter.

Finally, some azaleas are evergreen and will produce a brilliant floral display in late-spring.

Hope one of these suggestions appeals to you!