The Q&A Archives: Carolina Jessamine Growing Zone

Question: I live right outside of Washington, DC in zone 7 -- I'm wondering how Carolina Jessamine would grow here. We do get quite a lot of snow in the Winter (some winters -- it's unpredictable) and I was wondering if it would be an evergreen in Fairfax County, or a perennial, or how it would be treated. I don't want anything that needs to be taken out over the winter, but I would like a nice flowering evergreen vine -- something other than english ivy. Any other suggestions? And when would you plant a Carolina Jessamine if it is appropriate for my area.

Thank you

Answer: Carolina jessamine is native to south Carolina but will tolerate temperatures of 0 degrees and is rated hardy to USDA zone 7. It is an evergreen vine and should be just fine in a full sun to partially shady site in your garden.

Although you can plant now, I think I'd wait until spring when nursery stock is fresh and a newly transplanted Carolin jessamine will have an opportunity to establish a good root system before winter weather arrives.

Enjoy your garden!