The Q&A Archives: Euonymas Radicans On A Chain Link Fence

Question: I have a chain link fence and I'm having a hard time finding a plant that will cover it and stay green all year long. I have tried using jasminum two times, it dies out after two years. I'm thinking about planting Euonymus radicans (common winter creeper) will this plant work in full sun and do the job for me.

Answer: Euonymus radicans is more suited as a creeping groundcover than a plant you can train up a chainlink fence. While it might eventually climb 2-3', the plant creeps along with aerial roots and needs to make contact with the ground in order to root and spread. I'd recommend evergreen honeysuckle (Lonicera), Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia) Dutchman's pipe (Arisolochia durior), hops vine (Humulus lupulus) five leaf akebia (Akeia quinata)or porcelainberry (Ampelosis brevipedunculata) instead. These plants will thrive in full sunshine and cover your fence much faster than wintercreeper. Be sure to amend your soil with organic matter prior to planting and water deeply once each week during the first growing season. This will help your new plants become quickly established.

Best wishes with your landscape!