The Q&A Archives: Oxalis Bulbs Not Sprouting

Question: I bought some oxalis bulbs (the plant has purple triangular-shaped leaves and tiny pink flowers) and planted them about a month ago. Only one bulb has sprouted and there is no sign of the other four doing anything. I'm keeping the plant out of the cold, in a sunny location and watering it when it becomes slightly dry. Any idea what could be wrong or am I just being an overeager expectant mom?

Answer: Don't feel bad, there are a lot of us overeager gardeners out there! When I planted my first oxalis a few years ago, I waited, and waited, and waited. I called the place I had obtained the bulbs from and really threw a tantrum. They talked me into waiting, and sure enough, they came up. It was quite a wait though. (I'm just glad I didn't demand a that would have been embarrassing). If I remember correctly it was close to three months! So, give it a little time - it sounds like you are caring for them well. Please do keep in mind though they prefer shady places to bright sun, and a well-drained soil.