The Q&A Archives: Required Space for Italian Cypress

Question: Dear Monrovia Experts,
I'm planning a concrete walkway in my yard but need to allow space for a 34-foot long sight screen of Blue Italian Cypress (though I am open to other plant suggestions) against the fence; I need to pour the concrete to allow adequate space for the plants. I plan to purchase the largest, most mature trees I can afford, and I hope to allow them to eventually attain their full 40-foot-plus height. How wide must the planting area (open soil surrounded by concrete) be? Would 18 inches be sufficient? Also, how close together can I plan the trees without causing future problems? I hope to have a dense screen as soon as possible.
Thanks in advance,
- Louis
p.s. - The Monrovia website and FAQ is fantastic! I've learned more about landscaping in 15 minutes here than the entire rest of my life!