The Q&A Archives: Shrub for Sun

Question: I live in Zone 7 and am looking for a shrub, not a rose, that can take direct sun and heat that blooms all summer. I thought of hydrangea, but we were told by people at Anderson's Garden Show Place that they would not do well. I am not looking for a white flower, hopefully something that is bright and colorful like hydrangea.

Answer: Gregory,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. We are transitioning to a new Q&A system and your question was unfortunately lost in the transition. I have discovered it now and hope this reply is not too late to be of help.

There are very few shrubs that fit all the specifications you mentioned. I think a good choice might be Rose-of-Sharon also called Shrub Althea (Hibiscus syriacus). It gets fairly large but would be a pretty shrub in summer.