The Q&A Archives: Italian Cypress vs. smaller Tiny Tower

Question: I bought an Italian Cypress, but then, in doing more research, came across info on the Tiny Tower. I would like to plant at the corner of our two story house, to accent the vertical, but I am afraid that the tree I bought, the Italian Cypress, will be just too much for our landscape, and being place near the house. The Tiny Tower sounds great, except, I wish it had a faster growth rate. I do want something impressive. Does it seem that I have chosen the wrong tree, The full-sized Italian, to be planting near our house and be just too overwelming for our urban front yard?

Answer: Sheri,

Tiny tower grows very slowly to 25 to 30 ft. tall and 3 ft. wide. Blue Italian cypress is a fast grower to 60 to 80 feet tall, 2 to 3 feet wide and thus would not be a very good choice unless you keep it 6 or more feet from the house, and maybe farther if you can. Skyrocket juniper is a fast grower to 15 to 20 feet tall and 2 to 3 feet wide. Blue arrow juniper has a moderate to slow growth rate reaching 12 to 15 feet tall and just 2 feet wide.