The Q&A Archives: Periwinkle Does Not Last

Question: I have been planting periwinkle that I have purchased in 5" pots. These plants last only 2-3 weeks; I have been told this is not uncommon. Should I try starting from seed? I was told am in tropic zone 10 which is same as Hawaii.

Answer: Periwinkles can easily be started from seed. In your area you should be able to start seed in about February. Plant the seeds in any type of planter. Plastic trays--the type that meat comes in--work well. Use a good seed starter medium; moisten medium well before planting. You can cover the container with plastic wrap to keep it moist--be sure to remove the plastic as soon as the seeds sprout. <br><br>If you started the seeds in shallow trays, transfer plants to individual pots when they are aboutan inch tall. My periwinkles last all summer; I know of nothing in your area that would cause them to last just 2 or 3 weeks. Look closely for signs of what might be affecting plants. How is the soil? Is it pure sand, so that it drains too quickly and the plants wilt from lack of water? Is it soggy and the plants are "drowning"? Are there signs of disease, like curling leaves or brown spots on the foliage? Could some animal be disturbing them? <br>