The Q&A Archives: Hibiscus

Question: About 3 months ago I took a hibiscus plant into my house, cut it down to about 3 inches and put it in the basement. Today I noticed it has new buds. What can I do to keep it alive so I can put it out again in the spring?<br>

Answer: First of all, congratulations to your hibiscus for being such a fighter! Ordinarily plants don't respond well to having all their leaves cut off and then being put in a basement for 3 months. Lots of people grow hibiscus as houseplants during the winter, putting them outdoors for the summer months. Hibiscus like average household temperatures and very bright light. They also want moist, but not soggy soil. You might mist the leaves ocassionally to add some moisture to the air. If the plant gets too leggy, you can pinch back some of the stems. In the spring, when the weather warms, put the plant outdoors, providing some shade from the afternoon sun.