The Q&A Archives: Second redwood tree?

Question: 16 months ago I planted a Sequoia Redwood in my front lawn. It is now about 12' in height. I was told that I should have planted a

Answer: While it's true that there is safety in numbers and a clump or colony of trees will be less susceptible to blowing over in a windstorm than a single tree, I'm not sure that planting two trees in your front yard will protect either tree from damage during a windstorm. If your front yard is really exposed to strong winds, you may want to plant a windbreak consisting of a row of tall, narrow trees to buffer the winds and save your redwood from taking the full force of the wind. If your home is in a housing development rather than out all by itself, the neighboring houses should help buffer the wind. You can take comfort in knowing that the branches of redwoods are pliable and able to withstand quite a bit of wind. Hope this information helps you determine whether or not your redwood might be at risk.